Translate

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Watch (out)


Yesterday I arrived to Bangkok with some of my friends. I’ve been soooo busy! J

It is probably not a wonder my blog’s name is “Fucking Factory” as I started writing it here in Bangkok. It is just amazing how much of it there is - right here. In every street corner, almost every alleyway, in malls, in hotels and even in the bars you’ll get a chance for a happy ending.

We visited Sirocco bar last night - the 64th floor roof top bar of the Lebua Hotel. First night ever I truly felt I was unfortunate to not to be a woman. I wanted to walk on 13cm high heels and in wear a stunning night gown down those stairs accompanied by the hottest man in the city. Well as it happens I am not a woman – and so, that hottest man of the city did not make his appearance either. Well I had my lovely friends with me which made it all up.

After having some drinks we took off and went to Silom Soi 4. It is a gay strip of a street full with gay bars. Couple of my other new friends joined us too. It’s amazing how you meet such a great bunch of people while travelling.

We had an interesting chat about lux watches yesterday. We talked with one of my friends about the reasons of wearing a lux watch - or just a watch, whatever. You know Rolex, Piaget, Omega Breguet, Blancpain, Patek Philippe etc…  Personally, I haven’t worn a watch since 1985 when I realized it gives you tan lines, yeah I was around 5 but already then quite particular about tan lines. Watches also make your wrist sweat. It is always hanging on your clothes.  Weather when you take your shirt of, when you put on or take of your jacket or overcoat - and you always think you might lose it if you misplace it. Watches also come with weird combination of materials and colors, you know silly things like; gold, diamonds, silver, platinum, leather, stainless steel, white gold, rubies etc… almost always in combination of more than few of the latter mentioned. So how do you combine them with simple silver attire, gold or metallic accessory collections? Well, I truly do not know. I have not even tried.
 
For me watches stand for old status symbols – nothing to do with fashion. Who wears watches anymore these days! Nice Balmain’s wristband is so much nicer. And hey, you don’t necessarily have to spend a penny less! And better yet, when you loose them you only lost a leather wristband with some nicely bent aluminium...




But, these luxury houses keep buying watch houses. Why, because if you can create a silly story like Philippe Patek's: "You never actually own a Patek Philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation", you can make a fortune! Not you, the seller. Catchy, and good advertising though, but honey, it's a watch! Could Samsung and LG come up with similar slogans please! I want my f**ing fridge and washer last more than a year!



Many do though

My friend told me that Rolex is not that copied in Australia. So, getting a Rolex replica from China or Thailand is worth the 50 dollars one needs to pay for the fakes. And, they are so good copies that without thorough inspection you couldn’t make out the difference. He told me the service he gets in restaurants, after placing his hand on the table and asking for something special, is always flawless. He’s got style, he’s got money, and he is wearing a Rolex! Phew! 

When I sit down to a restaurant I do it with my incessant leer. First, they cannot take their eyes off from mine, and secondly, they cannot say no to any small and modest wishes. I mean what does it cost for a small joint to offer a meager salary earner like me a complimentary bottle of Bollinger Blanc de Noir, eh? Yes, I do it with my eyes! :)

My other friend has a Philippe Patek watch. Fake as well. He wears it like most women here their fake Luis Vuitton bags. And do I consider that elegant?

One of my friends has a large watch collection. You know expensive watches. I asked him why. “Well, I have either inherited them or bought them as investments,” he told me and continues “I don’t wear them really because they are too expensive and it would be distasteful to show up in a watch, which is some ones three years’ salary (before the taxes).” What a predicament! “Why then?” I asked. He continued that some people collect art, some clothes, some watches. “You see, it’s not all that different” he said and looked a bit sad. “Okay, so if you are a collector I understand. But if you are saying that you’d wear them only in rare occasions like during total solar eclipses and only were there no common or poor people around ... I do have to say it’s probably not worth it.” He looked at me and snorted. “Whatever…”

So watches are a bore. ...Unless of course you are boring and have no idea what to tie around your wrist that is.

I am waiting for my date to arrive. He is sooooo handsome! But, if he is wearing a watch I am going to give him a boot. First of course I will check if it is a fake. Fake gives an automatic boot. If it is not, I have to correct him that I am in a wrong pay grade and would highly recommend him to leave the table before I need to reveal something far more disturbing news about myself... J



No comments:

Post a Comment